Wat Chiang Man

171 Sriphum Road
50200 Sri Phum Chiang Mai, Thailand
Wat Chiang Man on the interactive online map
Wat Chiang Man is classified in the following categorie(s): Temple 
Wat Chiang Man (Thai: วัดเชียงมั่น − sometimes also written as Wat Chiang Mun) is a Buddhist temple built during 1296-1297 A.D. by Phya Mungrai. Wat Chiang Mun was the first royal temple built in the vicinity to Chiang Mai's ancient city, on the formet Wiang Chiang Mun Palace donated by Phya Mungrai.

The temple instores several valuables artifacts, tjhe most significant are the white quartz Buddha image of "Phra Setangkamanee" or "Phra Kaew Khao" in Lanna style which Phya Mungrai brought from Hariphunchai and also a stone Buddha statue in the posture of sub-during the elephant "Nalakiri", carved by craftsmen of the Pala school.

Another priceless artifact is a stone inscription written in 1581 A.D. which records the histories of Wat Chiang Man and the city of Chiang Mai. The 700 years old chedi "Chang Lom" or elephant-surrounded stupa is the oldest and most significant stupa withing the temple compounds.
SHARE ON

Photos of Wat Chiang Man

Comments from our visitors